Tuesday, August 26, 2008

How did I become a fat nutritionist?

How did Louise become a fat nutritionist? You might be wondering...or maybe you could care less. Either way, I am gonna tell you.

I have always been a "big" girl. When I was younger I was tall for my age and developed early. In grade six I joined Nutrisystem which was the beginning of a long diet road for me. I weighed 165 pounds. By the time high school hit, I was well over 200 pounds. When university came around I was bordering on 300. Throughout the years I would go up or down 40-60 pounds but I have not been under 200 pounds since Junior high...blows my freaking mind.

I have been on every diet known to man: Weight Watchers (4 times), Nutrisystem, Hypnosis, Atkins, F Plan, GI diet, Protein Power, Grapefruit, Low Fat, High Fat, Low Carb, High Carb I could go on and on. Then there were my stints of starvation/binging and all of my home made diets. Who knew that it wasn't healthy to live on boiled eggs alone??

I decided to study Applied Human Nutrition at University of Guelph. Just like the crazy dude who goes into Psychiatry, I wanted to solve my own problems. Did I figure them out? NO because weight issues are far more than what you eat. But I did gain a lot of insights into how the human body works and what we SHOULD be feeding it to perform optimally. Sadly it is not apple fritters and coffee. Apparently, an apple fritter a day does NOT keep the doctor away!

So here I am today, still figuring myself out but getting closer to the solutions everyday. I have uncovered some health issues which I will discuss in future posts because I know a lot of you are dealing with them as well. I have uncovered emotional tools to help me deal with that HUGE aspect of why I am 150 pounds overweight. And lastly, I have found a plan that seems to be working for me.

No comments: