Monday, September 15, 2008

Falling off the Weight Loss Wagon!

Well I fell off the wagon, rolled into the ditch and haven't quite gotten up yet! This past weekend was one filled with company dinners, quick bites in between clients and big breakfasts and I am paying for it on the scale. All this food, sodium and the lack of water I drank turned into a 4 pound weight gain in 3 days. Now I know this isn't all fat but it feels discouraging all the same.

So why do I fall so hard when I do fall? Well one thing is clear to me, I have no willpower when I am exhausted. I don't do well with late night dinners (9 pm is late for me). I overindulge and then don't sleep well. I also have always had an all or nothing mentality. If I screw up, why not go crazy?? Life is a series of challenges and set backs and going crazy is what got me to this place! I need to learn to treat each meal individually and make my decision based on the big picture. Not sure if that makes sense so here is an example. If I know we are having a company dinner on Saturday, I need to make good decisions for breakfast and lunch. My thinking has always been (and I do know better!!) that if I am having a big dinner then the whole day is a write off so why not enjoy it. This is fat person thinking, not healthy person thinking.

So what have I learned this weekend:
  1. Being this heavy is hard on the body. 2 days on my feet and I feel like I have been hit by a bus! Next year will be MUCH better, this is a promise to myself.
  2. When I am tired, I need to sleep. If I have a meeting or engagement I can't get out of I need to eat earlier and then just have a light bite with the group.
  3. If possible I need to decide what I want to eat before I go to the restaurant by checking out the menu online. It is too tempting to make bad choices in the moment. I need to plan to succeed.
  4. Still be accountable to someone. Jon and I are doing this program together but no one I work with really knows what I am up to. If I had someone I was accountable to and whom I knew was looking out for me this past weekend, maybe I would have passed on the creme brulee and second martini.

So this is me coming clean and now I will brush myself off and climb back onto the wagon. It may be a bumpy ride sometimes but it is all worthwhile to reach the destination.

No comments: