Friday, September 5, 2008

My top 10 favorite "healthy" foods

Got food on the brain this morning and thought I would do my top ten of favorite healthy foods. In no particular order :)

  1. Food for Life Ezekiel English Muffins: These are awesome toasted with salsa and a poached omega 3 egg on them.
  2. Organic Apples: I LOVE organic apples, I carry them with me in my car for after my lunch because they are nature's toothbrush. I also really like to make apple and peanut butter sandwiches.
  3. Sunflower Kitchens Spicy Hummus: I don't have this often because it is hard to find but it is amazing. Best hummus ever!
  4. Presidents Choice Burger First Multi grain buns: Now, generally I wouldn't consider wheat to be the healthiest option but I do love these buns. They are very thin and nutty flavoured. Great with peanut butter and apple. This is what Jon makes all of his sandwiches for work on now, he loves them.
  5. Raincoast Trading Wild Skinless Boneless Sockeye Salmon: This stuff is amazing because all of the gross skin and bones (although the bones are good for you but I hate them) are out of the can. Only nice chunks of wild salmon are in the can. At around $4.99 a can, it is a great meal. I make salmon patties (salmon, one egg, dijon mustard, some whole grain cracker or bread crumbs, green onions, lemon juice and pepper) and saute them in a little olive oil with about a tsp of butter in it for taste. They are awesome!
  6. Mashed Cauliflower: I love potatoes like most of us but I never buy them. When Jon and I were on our low carb diet we started making mashed cauliflower instead and we actually prefer the taste to mashed potatoes. All you do is steam the cauliflower until it is very tender, add a little butter, salt, pepper and light cream cheese and mash the hell out of it. Good times!
  7. Legumes: Chick peas, lentils, black beans and kidney beans are my favorites but there are so many types of beans available and their uses are almost limitless. I use them in curries, pasta sauces (chick peas are awesome in place of protein in pasta sauce), chili, dips, soups etc. I buy organic canned (Eden organic or Presidents Choice Organic), just make sure to rinse them well to bring down the sodium levels. Rinsing will also make them less gassy (or you for that matter).
  8. Presidents Choice Blue Menu Butter Chicken sauce: Ok so still not ideal but this sauce is amazing and has half the fat and calories of their regular Butter Chicken sauce. Make with chicken breast and throw in some veggies to increase the health quotient and it is a great treat once in awhile.
  9. Slimcakes: So these are actually an Isagenix product that we just stumbled upon and they rock my socks. They are an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie with 9 grams of fiber and 190 calories per cookie (they are big). Heated up, they are even better. We love these (maybe a little tooooo much).
  10. Organic Fair trade coffee: So this is definitely one of my favorite things, although not necessarily healthy. It is very important to buy organic coffee because coffee crops are sprayed with tons of pesticides. Always buy fair trade because it helps to ensure fair pay for the workers in the fields and factories. I don't drink a lot of coffee now because of my adrenals but it is a real treat when I have it. My husband makes the best cup of coffee, one of the reasons I married him. We only buy organic, fair trade and there are so many options out there now that you can surely find one you will love.

So "These are a few of my favorite things". I have the urge to go watch the Sound of Music now.

Happy Friday Everyone!

No comments: